Sunday, April 01, 2007

Hasta la Vista, Baby!

I had a couple of spare hours this weekend, so I decided, at the behest of my good friend Avril Dummkopf, to install Windows Vista on my Ferrari 3400 laptop. I'm glad I did: the power and usability of Vista far exceeds my usual OS of choice, .

Vista's hardware requirements are a little more intense than Solaris', so I had to upgrade my laptop. I upgraded the CPU to the latest dual core AMD Mobile Athalon64 processor, and doubled the RAM to 4 GB. I also decided to upgrade the hard drive to a 15K RPM 250 GB one (which was kinda hard to find in a 2.5" laptop form factor).

I'm security conscious, so I turned Vista's new security policy doohickey up to maximum. It got quite annoying for a while, answering questions from it every time I wanted to do something, but no I'm really glad I'm protected from viruses and the like. Solaris sure doesn't have security like this!

Although I still have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me, I really think that Vista Ultimate was worth the $300 I paid for it. So much so, in fact, that I'm gonna switch to it for all my computing needs. Next on my shopping list is a copy of Office 2007—I can't wait!

6 Comments:

At 1/4/07 15:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

April fools!

 
At 1/4/07 20:13, Blogger Rich Teer said...

Yes! :-)

 
At 4/4/07 06:33, Blogger Pev said...

Ha!

You nearly had me there but my first though was "where is the real Richard Teer and what have you foul alien fiends done with him?".

Vista Premium! Ha! Even people living with the pain of XP won't switch. That said, I just saw a very nice Mac Book Pro! You know what they say, once you go Mac, you never go back.

 
At 4/4/07 15:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have paid Money to watch you unsolder the flatmounted single core 2 GHz CPU and se you precision soldering the Turion X2 back inplace.

//Lars

 
At 4/4/07 16:11, Blogger Rich Teer said...

We have someone staying with use for a few weeks, and he has a 20" iMac. Putting aside my anti-Windoze bias for a second, after seeing that iMac in action I can't see why people even consider Windoze. The user interface and quality of the bundled apps makes Windoze look like a joke.

If I ever made the switch away from Solaris (not a likely contingency, admittedly), I'd get a Mac.

 
At 22/7/07 15:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great, Rich =).

Strangely enough, I do use windows for some things -- I just can't get my wife to use something else for her day to day work. (More than that I can't be bothered supporting it.) I don't use it in prod in any way, but SSO does intrigue me a bit, so I do have a box that might boot to windows every so often just to play with SSO.

-Coy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home