Sunday, July 16, 2006

Getting dtterm to play nicely with GNOME 2.14.1

I recently posted about my trials and tribulations with GNOME on and . My list of grievances, until very recently included another show stopper: my preferred terminal application, dtterm, didn't play very will with GNOME (or perhaps it is vice-versa). Gnome-terminal is very nice, but not quite what I want.

Like most geeks, I run my terminals with green text on a black background. But when I opened dtterm in GNOME, I got an illegible green on light grey. If I tried setting the background to black (e.g., dtterm -bg black), the scrollbar background would also change to black: not what I wanted, and not very legilble.

Before giving up, I thought I'd try my luck with the OpenSolaris community, so I posed my question there. Sun's Laszlo Peter had the answer, and I thought I'd share it here.

To make dtterm play nicely with GNOME, simply put the following lines into your ~/.Xdefaults:
Dtterm*dtTermView*foreground:   green
*XmText*background: black
*XmTextField*background: black
*background: black

I'm still playing with getting the font the correct size (in my case, 9 points), but I suspect the fix for that will be similar.

Anyways, I hope that this little tidbit helps someone. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 17/7/06 04:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should be "Laszlo Peter", not "Peter Laszlo" :)

 
At 17/7/06 09:04, Blogger Rich Teer said...

Oops! I've fixed that now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home