Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Back in the saddle again

Great news--after nearly four years of being "between contracts" (most of which was spent writing my book, Solaris Systems Programming), I'm finally earning some money again! I'm on a 4-month contract (good possibility of renewals) in Edmonton, Alberta, doing some Solaris systems admin stuff for Telus.

While it's great to be back in the saddle again, it does mean that I'm currently living away from home. The 15th-floor apartment I'm renting is OK, but it's a bit of a culture shock having spent the last 4 years working from home! Natuarally, I miss Jenny and Judge (and all my local friends) a lot, but I plan to spend every other weekend or so back in Kelowna, once I've settled in Edmonton properly (hey, at least as a contractor, I can write this stuff off!).

My building in downtown Edmonton (literally a 7 minute walk door to door from work) has a swimming pool and gym, so I guess I'll be able to get some regular exercise (in addition to walking: I hav eno car here, and the pedways make walking very convenient, despite the cold weather outside). But most of the time I read and watch TV (talking of which, last night's Jeremiah was excellent, as was the finale of The Amazing Race).

Anyways, I'm looking forward to paying off my debt, and treating myself to a new toy or three... :-)

3 Comments:

At 13/2/05 18:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stick with it! (Blogging that is).

Your posts are one of the main reasons I read comp.unix.solaris (may have got the name wrong so you know I'm not a daily reader!)

And BTW good luck on the relocation

 
At 17/2/05 15:56, Blogger Rich Teer said...

Hi Moss,

Yes I am the same Rich Teer who's posts appear in comp.unix.solaris, and thanks for reading!

 
At 17/2/05 15:58, Blogger Rich Teer said...

Zach, send me an email and I'll try to help if I get a few minutes. But briefly, no you can't upgrade the OBP (SPARC machines don't have a BIOS) from a floppy.

You can get a copy of SOlaris from Ebay really cheap. Talking of Ebay, the IPX is ANCIENT. It might be better to get yourself a newer Ultra machine, so that you can use Solaris 10 (the latest and greatest).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home