Thursday, November 03, 2005

First glimpse of the next Galaxy server?

If you want a glimpse of what might be one of the next Galaxy servers, check out Sun and Seagate's Flash presentation on SAS (serial attached SCSI). The presentation shows a couple of racks full of the now-familiar X4100 and X4200s, but those racks also contain similar looking 4U boxes. Hmm...

Sepculation: my guess (and if I *did* know, I wouldn't be posting this, right?) is that the 4U box is one of the 4-way or 8-way Galaxy variants Sun have hinted they're working on. Delivery time? Your guess is as good as mine, but I guess they must be fairly near completion.

I thought long and hard about posting this entry. I am privileged to receive quite a lot of confidential information from friends and contacts inside Sun, info that is either covered by a formal NDA or (more likely) by a "gentleman's NDA". That Sun entrusts some of their secrets to me is an honour that I will not abuse; the deciding factors in posting this entry were: 1) the presentation is already available on a public web site, and 2) Sun themselves link to the presentation, from the X4100 and X4200 product info pages.

2 Comments:

At 4/11/05 02:59, Blogger Phillip Fayers said...

As someone who has no access to internal information at all those 4U boxes definately look like 8 CPU systems.

There are 4 obvious cooling inlets so I'm guessing a board behind each with 2 Opteron sockets and RAM, laid out in a simlar fashion to the x4100 and x4200. How it's all tied together is anyone's guess.

Of course, having a picture doesn't mean it's that close to launch, I'm sure they knew what the x4100's would look like a long time before they launched.

 
At 9/11/05 11:29, Blogger Stefan Parvu said...

Interesting. Linked that to my blog too :)

thanks Rich for posting the link!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home